East Surrey Hospital
T: 01737 768511
East Surrey Hospital is the major acute hospital for east Surrey and north-west Sussex, providing a wide-range of services to the local community.
The first phase of East Surrey Hospital opened in 1979. Originally known as the New East Surrey Hospital, it initially replaced the previous (smaller) East Surrey Hospital and Smallfield Hospital. The second phase of building opened in 1991, allowing the final closure of the nearby Redhill General Hospital as the remaining services moved onto the new East Surrey site.
'Old' East Surrey is now the Whitepost Hill medical centre and Smallfield - a Canadian military evacuation hospital in the second world war - is a housing estate. East Surrey Hospital is on Canada Avenue, which owes its name to the use of the site as a camp for Canadian troops during the second world war.
The site of the Redhill General - next to Earlswood common - has also now been used for housing. The General was previously known as the Redhill County Hospital (and briefly the Surrey County Hospital, Redhill) and could trace its origins back as far as 1794, when 'The Union' workhouse occupied the site.
Last changed: 19/02/2010